Sunday, December 1, 2013

Green Tea of the Month: Matcha

Konnichiwa!
So this title may be a little bit deceiving, but that isn't entirely my fault... When I bought this set of matcha green tea at Chelmsford Tea & Gifts, the lady selling it sold it as "matcha", even commenting that it is delicious as a latte. So naturally, I was under the impression that it would be a can of some lovely green powder for me to scoop into milk, like at Starbucks. WRONG. It is little tea bags filled with half normal green tea leaves and half matcha powder. Although it is refreshing steeped in water, I bought the stuff for lattes so I thought "dangit, I'm going to find a way to make a latte with this stuff." And it worked :D

(^tricky right?)
So here's how the latte is made
1. pour skim milk into teapot
2. microwave the pot of milk for 2 minutes on high
3. put two bags of "matcha" in a mug
4. when the microwave finishes, pour it on the tea and then steep for 2 minutes
5. remove the teabags
6. stir in stevia swettener (i do two packets tehehe)
7. snuggle up in bed, drink, and enjoy :) (and maybe even procrastinate from homework a little...)

Despite the deception, I'll give it up to Chelmsford for providing me with one hell of a latte! It has a slight hint of vanilla flavor, some good calcium,is relatively cheap per cup, and is only 80 calories. Beat that Starbucks! I'd really like to try making this with coconut milk instead of regular. I'll let you know how a real matcha latte goes when I get to making one.

Keep it kawaii folks!
-Ainsley

No comments:

Post a Comment